This page is devoted to highlighting a single or group of similar or related items. As usual, I will provide photographs and history of the pieces shown. These objects are all for sale.
Hand Painted Advertisements and Memorabilia, 1915-1930, produced by the Publicity Clock Company, the Sidewalk Ad Service, and the Ad-Traction Phantom Clock Service. The following are hand painted advertisements for various companies in the New York City area; several are from Harlem. These original painted images were then photographed and turned into transparent slides. Produced by the Publicity Clock Company/ Sidewalk Ad Service/Ad-Traction Phantom Clock Service, the image was then projected onto a screen or even a sidewalk. It was advertised as "The Best and most refined Advertising Medium of the present day Always Before the Eyes of the Public." Each piece is matted and framed and comes with contemporaneous original advertising from the Publicity Clock Company, the Sidewalk Ad Service, and the Ad-Traction Phantom Clock Service. The pieces each measure about 12 in x 12 in (30.5 cm x 30.5 cm) framed and the advertisements are 6.5 in - 8 in (16.5 cm - 20 cm) in diameter.
The following information comes from the Duke University Libraries website: "The Publicity Clock Company, an advertising firm in New York City from around 1915 to at least 1930, placed advertisements in local movie theaters by means of the Publicity Clock, a device that projected the image of a working clock face with a repeating sequence of advertisements displayed within the dial. The Publicity Clock Co. engaged advertisers, collected fees from them, and supplied the advertising transparencies for the device. Theaters received a portion of the proceeds for projecting the colorful image on the wall near the movie screen.
Throughout the 1920s and perhaps later, the company was located at 105 West 40th Street and run for a number of years by Leslie Neuberger, the brother of Roy R. Neuberger, the founder of Neuberger Berman. The mechanism that intermittently changed the advertisements was patented by John U. Barr on July 20, 1915, patent number 1,146,839. Although not represented in this collection, the company was later known for the slogan, “Let Time Tell Your Story.”"
Another entry in the Duke Libraries states the following with regard to Sidewalk Ad Service: "Located at 105 West 40th St. in New York City. Business would design an advertisement, then 'broadcast' it via a light beam onto the sidewalk in front of the business: 'Your complete sales message told in bright colorful light--where every passerby must see it!'"